Two years ago I posted a recipe for Beef Heart Stew. Although it was better than my beef heart curry attempt, it was just “offal good“, not “awfully good“. So I revisited this recipe and came up with something far better. This time I added some potatoes and red wine. I also removed the Thai peppers, added cumin and extended the cooking time.
Recipe: Beef Heart Stew Rebooted
Summary: A rich stew made from beef heart using a slow cooker.
- One beef heart cut into smaller bite sized pieces
- 2-3 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2-3 small red potatoes (or substitute)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1-1.5 quarts of beef stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 Tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 cup red wine
- Cut up the onion and caramelize in pan with your favorite fat. I used tallow. Add to slow cooker.
- Cut up carrots and potatoes and put into slow cooker.
- Dice garlic and add to slow cooker.
- Cut up beef heart and add to slow cooker. Details here.
- Add spices.
- Top off with beef stock and red wine.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. I like to cook the first hour on high.
Because of the 8 hour cooking time, start this one early. I no longer believe 5 hours is enough time.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s) Cooking time: 9 hour(s) 20 minute(s)
More from my site
Liked this post? Follow this blog to get more.