Here comes yet another year end post. I’ll start off with how well I did with my web empire in 2008.
CriticalMAS: A+ criticalmas.com
Earlier this year I dumped Blogger and started using WordPress. I moved over 2 years of posts. Every photo gallery was linked back to the blog. All legacy content going back to 2000 was rolled into the new format. And I did it in a way that not a single link broke (301 redirects).
The frequency and quality of posts (I think) got better this year. Instead of fighting with Blogger, I was able to focus on creating content.
DeepFitness: B deepfitness.com
Back in February, I coded some additional enhancements to the site. The number of XHTML compliant articles went from 1000 to 2000+. The site is 100% automated. For a while, Google rewarded the site with visitors. Then nothing for months. Recently the traffic has started to return.
Digital Colony: W digitalcolony.com
This site still uses Blogger and I vowed never to use that tool again. So I took a “W” or withdraw on creating new content for this site until I can move it to another publisher. I did create a new home page and logo which I think is much better than the old one.
INeedCoffee: I ineedcoffee.com
The plan was to spend a few months moving old content into a WordPress database, just I like I did so successfully with CriticalMAS. I way underestimated not only the time it would take, but my comfort level with WordPress. I also had LOTS of computer problems this summer and fall. The redesign is still not completed, so I score this as an “I” or Incomplete.
MichaelAllenSmith: A michaelallensmith.com
After a domain battle with GoDaddy, I was FINALLY able to setup a simple portal page on MichaelAllenSmith.com. The design is very basic, but it serves its purpose.
Despite the continuing problems with the next version of INeedCoffee – it was a decent year.
2009 Web Empire Goals
- INeedCoffee redesign – This MUST MUST MUST be done by April 4th. Hopefully sooner. That is the 10 year anniversary date for the site.
- INeedCoffee new version – I expect to spend months after the redesign getting the site to run smoothly.
- MichaelAllenSmith redesign – Version 1 was a placeholder for a better design.
- CriticalMAS – Maybe create local versions of photo galleries that call SmugMug APIs? Low importance.
- Digital Colony – I’m thinking sometime in the 4th Quarter, I can revisit this site and start the move away from Blogger. It will also turn 10 years old this year.