Ground Pork and Cabbage Recipe

Yesterday I cooked up some ground pork and cabbage. This is a low carb twist on a classic Irish dish that uses potatoes. If you just got back from lifting weights at the gym, add the potatoes back into the recipe. Otherwise proceed as described.

Before I get to the recipe, I want to discuss the economics of this recipe. The pound of ground pork came from local pastured farm and cost me just $4. All the veggies and spices combined cost about $1.50. The total cost of this dish was $5.50 and it made 3 servings. That works out to less than $2 a serving. I could have added more onions or even potatoes if I wanted to stretch out the servings for even greater value.

Whenever the media reports that poor people can’t afford to eat healthy, I just shake my head in frustration. They are repeating the same old disempowering message, which is simply not true.

Recipe: Ground Pork and Cabbage

Summary: A low-carb twist on a classic Irish dish.

ground-pork

Ingredients

1. 1 pound of ground pork
  2. 1/2 head of green cabbage shredded
  3. 4 thinly sliced carrots
  4. 1 sliced onion
  5. 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
  6. 1 teaspoon salt
  7. black pepper to taste
  8. Lard, tallow or other healthy cooking oil

Instructions

1. Heat up onions and carrots in skillet with cooking oil. (about 5 minutes)
  2. Add salt, turmeric, cabbage and pork.
  3. Cook until pork and cabbage are done (about 15 minutes)

Cooking time (duration): 25

Diet (other): Reduced carbohydrate, Gluten free

Number of servings (yield): 3

Meal type: dinner

Culinary tradition: Irish

Comments

1. Ed says

re:”The pound of ground pork came from local pastured farm and cost me just $4″.

Where from Mike?

It does sound like another good idea, I will try it.

2. Ed says

I decided to just buy some pork at the local Whole Foods. It turned out great and was a way better tasting dish with the pork then substituting beef like I tried last time.

3. Sue says

I will try your recipe tonight, sounds delish!
    Keep in mind ‘poor’ people may not have things you take for granted, IE: a working stove; the ability to get to a store that sells good produce and meat, especially in poor neighborhoods; The time/energy/ability to cook even this simple recipe, when it is much easier to get the $1 menu at the fast food chain.
    They may also not have the $$ to get a full bottle of oil, or jar of spice, even though the amount used per meal is of little cost.

4. Jen says

Very good dinner. I also had grass fed local pork in the freezer, and wasn’t sure what to make. I’m eating more paleo now, and this was perfect thanks.

5. Marylou says

I frequently browse for recipes when I get stumped on what to cook. I found your recipe while browsing. I have the pork and recently I purchased a cabbage….also I was amazed that I actually have Turmeric! The recipe sounds good and it is different from the typical meals we have.

6. Angela says

I love this simple recipe. lean Ground pork is my preference over beef any day of the week. I just bought a pound for $2.99 on special at Sprouts today, making this meal even more econimical. I do appreciate your message of empowerment. I’m with ya. Chopping my carrots and onions now! yum yum! ( i may have some brown rice with mine.)

7. vickie says

i don’t have turmeric and I don’t have any carrots. I could buy them both from the store but im short on time tonight. What can I used instead of the turmeric? and does this recipe have to have carrots??

8. Amy says

I would just like to point out that this meal feeds 3 people for $5.50. Let’s say you have a family of 6, it would cost about $11. Since you feel that this is an inexpensive meal we will multiply $11 by 3 meals per day then by 7 days per week, this does not account for any snacks, the cost to feed this family would be $231. Or just shy of $1000 per month. We are not poor and I choose to spend money on healthy food for my family, but because of that choice we do not afford cable or smart phones. It is expensive to feed a family “healthy food” and some can truly not afford it, however most are not willing to make the sacrifices necessary to afford it. I make this same meal for my family on a regular basis. It cost me about $4 and I feed my family of 6, two meals from it. That is $0.34 per person. So yes, this can be a very inexpensive meal. My pork is not grass fed and my cabbage is not organic, but I think we will all live because we aren’t eating the dollar menu at McDonald’s.

@Amy – I agree with you. When I wrote this post 4 years ago I was more concerned with making sure all my ingredients were the best quality. Today I factor in price much more. If I were at the store right now, I’d go for the $0.34 meal too.

Comment Policy: Your words are your own, so be nice and helpful if you can. Limit the amount of links submitted in your comment. Do not respond here to other posts where the comments have been closed. Trust me, they have been closed for a reason.